In October 2013, I was appointed Shadow Minister for Public Health, having previously served as Shadow Minister for Climate Change.
I am a child of Thatcher’s Britain. Born shortly after she came to power, I had my childhood in the 80s and 90s. I was only young, but I remember what it was like. It was a nasty, spiteful, shameful period in our history. I’m in politics to make sure that we never go back.
I grew up in Wembley, on the edge of London, in a close, Jewish family. My Dad runs a shop which is a family business and my Mum works as part of the patient and family support team in a Palliative Care Unit. My grandad sold ladies fashions from a market stall across Northampton. My brother is a musician.
Before entering Parliament, I was a member of the Co-operative Party’s National Youth Committee, serving as its Vice Chair.
Listed among: Members of Parliament
- Lack of commitment from Government for co-operative and community energy in Energy Bill (11 Jun 2013)One of the main pieces of Parliamentary business in the Commons last week was the remaining stages of the Energy Bill; regrettably co-operative and community energy did not receive the support from the Government that was hoped for, reports Parliamentary Officer Joe Fortune. The Energy Bill is a complex piece of legislation which purports to […]
- Luciana Berger visits Brixton Energy co-operative (15 Feb 2013)Luciana Berger visited Repowering South London’s award winning Solar projects in Brixton this month to find out how local co-operative community energy generation can be successful and what the Government should do to support it. The project in Brixton is one of the few community energy schemes that have found success despite this Government’s feed-in-tariff […]
- Marking International Women’s Day (7 Mar 2012)The Co-operative Party Women’s Network was established for women in the Party to co-operate to help each other, offering their time and talents, experience and expertise. To celebrate International Women’s Day, some of our current women in politics offer some words of advice and inspiration to our aspiring politicians. The best piece of advice anyone […]
- Twigg to Education, Thomas now Shadow Minister for Co-ops (10 Oct 2011)Several Co-operative MPs, including some elected to Parliament in 2010, have featured prominently in Ed Miliband’s reshuffle of the shadow frontbench team over the weekend. Joining Ed Balls MP and Lord Steve Bassam in Shadow Cabinet will be Stephen Twigg, Labour & Co-operative MP for Liverpool West Derby since 2010 and now Shadow Education Secretary. […]
- The co-operative week in Westminster (16 Sep 2011)Parliamentary Officer Joe Fortune rounds up the latest from Parliament with the work of Co-operative Parliamentarians. This regular column will briefly round up some of the important or noteworthy pieces of Parliamentary activity and business for co-operators each week. It will highlight the work being done by Co-operative Party MPs and co-operators in Westminster. Of […]
- Luciana Berger: The Government’s Energy Bill fails co-ops (8 Jun 2011)Since its introduction in the House of Lords in December the Energy Bill has been quietly making its way through Parliament and has now reached committee stage in the commons. While it may not have been grabbing the headlines like other government plans, there is still much for those of us concerned with promoting co-operative […]
- Business of the House: Autumn Statement (5 Dec 2013)Luciana Berger: Will the Chancellor confirm press reports this morning that his free school meal announcement has resulted in a £80 million raid on the school building budget of the Department for Education?
- Written Answers — Health: MMR Vaccine (5 Dec 2013)Luciana Berger: To ask the Secretary of State for Health pursuant to the answer of 25 November 2013, Official Report, column 154W, on MMR vaccine, what the baseline estimate of MMR coverage in 10 to 16 year olds was in each month since April 2013.
- Written Answers — Justice: Alcoholic Drinks: Young People (4 Dec 2013)Luciana Berger: To ask the Secretary of State for Justice pursuant to the answer to the hon. Member for Witham of 3 June 2013, Official Report, column 923W, on alcoholic drinks: young people, how many people were convicted of buying alcohol on behalf of a minor in (a) 2012 and (b) 2013 to date.
- Oral Answers to Questions — Foreign and Commonwealth Office: PISA Results (3 Dec 2013)Luciana Berger: In 2010 the right hon. Member for Witney (Mr Cameron) promised to learn from the best education systems in the world with the most highly qualified teachers, so why have the Government removed the requirement that teachers be qualified to degree level?
- Written Answers — Health: Genito-urinary Medicine (2 Dec 2013)Luciana Berger: To ask the Secretary of State for Health what the total number of surgeons trained to remove transvaginal mesh implants is.
- Written Answers — Health: Genito-urinary Medicine (2 Dec 2013)Luciana Berger: To ask the Secretary of State for Health (1) how many (a) women have received transvaginal mesh implants, (b) women had transvaginal mesh removed and (c) adverse reports relating to transvaginal mesh implants were recorded in each year since 2005; (2) what recent assessment he has made of the prevalence and severity of complications resulting from transvaginal mesh implants; (3) what...
- Written Answers — Health: Health: Finance (29 Nov 2013)Luciana Berger: To ask the Secretary of State for Health how much each local authority was allocated for public health expenditure in 2013-14; and how much each local authority has spent on public health to date.
- Written Answers — Health: Health (29 Nov 2013)Luciana Berger: To ask the Secretary of State for Health what meetings he has held with ministerial colleagues on public health marketing campaigns since his appointment.
- Written Answers — Health: Health Education (29 Nov 2013)Luciana Berger: To ask the Secretary of State for Health pursuant to the written answer of 25 November 2013, Official Report, column 147W, on Health Education, what the rationale was for suspending work on the draft guidance.
- Written Answers — Health: Public Health England (29 Nov 2013)Luciana Berger: To ask the Secretary of State for Health if he will publish the results of the Public Health England staff survey.