International Year of Co-operatives
The United Nations has designated 2012 as the International Year of Co-operatives. It offers a unique opportunity to join with 1.4 million co-operatives and their 1 billion members around the world to promote a better way of doing business.
The Co-operative Party is proud to be supporting the International Year with events throughout the year. We’re also encouraging our local branches to play their part and use this once in a lifetime opportunity to promote our co-ops and our values.
This year, Co-operative Party Conference will return to Manchester, the birthplace of the modern co-operative movement and the home of the Co-operative Group. We will gather at New Century House 7-9 September 2012.
And we will return to Manchester the following month to take our place alongside co-ops from around the world at the International Co-operative Alliance International Expo at the Manchester Central centre.
Right through the year, from Fairtrade Fortnight to International Credit Union Day, in Parliament and in Town Halls, and in local communities, we and our local units will be promoting the International Year.
Co-operatives UK has created a wide range of tools and materials for the International Year, all available from www.uk.coop/2012
Here are 12 easy ways to take part in 2012, using the materials available from Co-ops UK or your local Co-operative Party branch.
- Logo Use the International Year of Co-operatives logo! All logos available at www.uk.coop/2012
- Communications Use Co-operatives UK’s calendar of quarterly themes and monthly talking points to organise your communications
- Newsletter Cut and paste the standard text on the International Year for your newsletters and news pages
- Email Place this footer at the bottom of your emails: 2012 is the International Year of Co-operatives. Make it co-operative at www.uk.coop/2012
- Website Add a ‘did you know’ box on your website, using the monthly talking points
- Blogs Copy and paste the content of expert blogs from Co-ops UK and our site into yours. Find the blogs to download at www.uk.coop/2012/blogs
- Twitter Use the international hashtag for the Year, #coops2012, to get involved in conversations, follow @ICACoop and @CoopParty and tweet with your news
- Materials Order your materials and merchandise from www.uk.coop/2012/order
- People Use the leaﬂets, ﬁlms, stickers and posters to inspire your colleagues, members and customers
- Film Watch and share the make it co-operative ﬁlm (mid 2012) and the wonderful International Co-operative Alliance video below.
- Mobile Download the make it co-operative app from www.uk.coop/cooperate
- Promote Whether it’s an open day, a party or a promotional campaign, promote your co-operative during 2012